Am I illiterate???

 

What is digital literacy?

Digital literacies are the skills and ability to use digital technology effectively and safely. It’s important because as technology advances, it is becoming more and more intertwined in every aspect of our lives. The majority of people use digital technology daily whether it be for communication, entertainment, education, work or health.


I thought I was digitally literate 



Growing up in the early 2000's, I was exposed to computers and then mobiles from a relatively young age. After school I would head home and log straight into MSN and chat with my friends until bed time. On weekends I would invite my cousins over and we would play Sims for 8 hours straight. I always thought of myself as confident with technology. In my work life, I was able to pick up new programs relatively quickly even when they were less than user friendly. I could problem solve when we couldn't figure out a certain feature and I was often the person that people would come to for help. So what changed? I'm more than capable of using my phone and apps, browsing the internet, researching, not getting scammed etc. but why do I feel so useless compared to the 18 year olds I sit next to at Uni? I can't tell if it's because they've likely been using Ipads since their first year of life or, if it's because I haven't had to properly utilise tech for anything other than the daily consumption of mind numbing content, in years. Either way I'm not as literate as I thought I was and I keep finding myself asking my classmates for help (why is it so bloody hard to format a blog?!). As I immerse myself in my studies, I'm using programs and websites that are new to me or that I'm needing to use in a way I haven't previously. I'm certain that consistently using these programs and refamiliarising myself with them will bring me back to my former glory.


I'm literate enough

I may not be a pro at making PowerPoints or blogs look nice and be perfectly formatted but I get by. Due to the many aspects that digital literacy encompasses, you can be perfectly capable in some ways but dangerously unaware in others. My mum for example, works as an executive assistant, a job primarily revolving around using a computer. She's great at her role and has no issues with the technology needed to be successful in it. On the other hand, she managed to get scammed twice within the past month. The first scammer called and posed as her bank, the second was a dodgy Instagram store. I can spot a scam caller or vendor a mile away but mum doesn't seem to share that ability. These recent events have caused mum a lot of anxiety and she's fearful of answering calls from unknown numbers and feels as though she can't trust herself making purchases online. I think generally the older you are, the less likely you are to be digitally literate having learnt these skills later in life. With that being said, if you expose yourself to and experiment with technology there's no reason you cant become just as capable as any digital native.


Comments